Friday, September 26, 2008

Respect. Recognize!!!

So I participate on a couple of forums regarding project management and I answered a question regarding respect.

Not very well written but I decided to post it here as being a PM basically means you need to cultivate a lot of respect fast in order to be successful.

I know this breaks the Fighter motif I have has the last couple of posts but. Well things change.

-Optimal Optimus


In my experience it all comes down as to what respect is defined as in the organization or between individuals for that matter.

Because I am the manager you must respect me... (does not cultivate respect)

Because I am talking you must respect me and not talk over me (does not cultivate respect)

Because you work for me (does not cultivate respect)

Respect IMHO comes from mutually seeing each other as equals and communicating as equals without preconceived notions of superiority or influence whether or not they may be there circumstantially.

Everyone here is the same we are trying to provide a solid product with great value proposition (respectable)

Everyone here has opinions and insights we may not all agree but if you have insights and opinions lets make sure they a rationally supported and are in line with our business goals (respectable)

I need you to attend this meeting, based on my understanding of business needs and what the meeting represents it should prove beneficial to our objectives (respectable)

I want us to take this approach because it supports our organization in this manner and is in line with the majority of our organizational operational units.(respectable)

It's a matter of engaging your team, empowering them, respecting them as professionals. Not ordering them about. You don't have to be a manager to have respect, nor should you as a manager abuse the respect your title bestows upon you.

If anything Respect is a commodity that is earned by trust and honesty and openness of intent than anything else and whose value as emotional and sub-context currency is immeasurable.

No comments: